Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Update: Peace Corps status

So I decided to decline my peace corps invitation. I was invited to be a part of the technology transfer program in Mexico. This particular program interacts with a government organization called CONACYT, which is essentially the mexican equivalent of the National Science Foundation. From a 30,000FT. view, they essentially work to develop technology that can be applied to government organizations, large/medium/small businesses and enterprises, etc and hence develops Mexico's economy. This was not your typical peace corps assignment, which from an engineer's perspective was all I could ask for. So what was the problem?

It really came down to my current priorities and my goals of going to school post service, which really had me thinking that between the rising costs of tuition and the 2 years of unpaid service, in the words of Charlie Sheen, I would NOT be Winning. I had to seriously evaluate what my goals were and what types of experience I wanted to get in the next couple years with regards to development and overall international relations. I realized those were things I could do from home, although not the same as completely immersing yourself in the experience, its a start. I've recently come back from a trip to Zambia, Africa. I will update in a later post what that experience was like, but I can say it was amazing. I've also recently been involved with Engineers without Borders, where we are currently discussing a potential design project for the Maasai tribe in northern Tanzania, which right now is sounding pretty promising.  I also moved to Boston where I'm starting a new job for a major newspaper/media company. Looks like I have some work ahead of me, more to come soon. Thanks for tuning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment